Ingredients1 lb. fresh okra, washed and patted dry
4 oz. pepper jack cheese, cut into matchsticks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup corn muffin mix
½ cup lager beer
½ cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp. honey
4 to 6 cups vegetable oil for frying
• Cut a slit in each okra pod and push the seeds to the side. Place 1 to 3 cheese pieces into each okra pod and set aside.
• Combine the flour and corn muffin mix in a large bowl.
• Whisk together the egg, beer, buttermilk and honey. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
• In a deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat (The oil should be about 2- to 3-inches deep.).
• Dip stuffed okra in batter and then carefully place in hot oil. Do not crowd the okra. As they brown, turn with metal tongs. Once browned on all sides, remove the okra and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.