Recipe: Pork Chops with Mojo Sauce
Mojo is a traditional Cuban sauce made with tart orange juice and lots of garlic that’s made for grilled meat. A few tips before you get started: I mixed lemon juice and Dijon mustard with orange juice to give it an extra sour hit. Also, adding a bit of sugar to the pork chop is a good trick to get a nice caramelized sear. Finally, listening to The Doors’ “LA Woman” definitely makes this dish taste even better.
Pork Chops with Mojo Sauce
¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
2 bone-in ¾ inch-thick pork chops
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. sugar
½ cup fresh orange juice
3 Tbsp. garlic paste (or finely minced or pressed garlic)
2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
1 tsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
¼ cup chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley
• Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
• Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 side of each chop with sugar.
• Add the pork chops to the pan sugar-side down and cook about 4 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally so the sugar caramelizes but doesn’t burn.
• Flip the pork chops, reduce the heat to medium and cook another 1 to 2 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. Remove from skillet, cover with foil and let rest. Do not wipe out the pan.
• Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, garlic, lemon zest, orange zest, oregano, cumin and mustard. Pour in any remaining drippings from the skillet and whisk in the remaining ¼ cup oil until emulsified. Stir in the chopped cilantro.
• Serve the pork chops with the sauce spooned over the top.
Dee Ryan is a longtime contributor to Sauce Magazine.
Tags : Recipes
More stories like this
5 recipes for people who can't get enough garlic
When it comes to garlic, a little (or a lot) is rarely enough in these recipes.
Recipe: Celery Salad with Dates and Parmesan
This simple salad is a great textural complement to heavier side dishes and comes together in ...